Tips for power outages
The following was copied by SERVPRO of South Euclid directly from: https://www.firstenergycorp.com/help/outages/what_to_do_if_youlosepower/other_steps_duringanoutage.html
· “To safeguard your equipment and appliances - and to ease the initial load when power is restored - turn off or unplug televisions, VCRs, DVD players, stereos, computers, and appliances that use electric motors such as refrigerators, freezers or air conditioners, until power is restored. Leave an incandescent light on so you know when the power comes back on.
· Keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed. These appliances are well insulated, so food will keep for hours if opening the door is kept to a minimum.
· Use a flashlight or battery-powered lantern for light. Use care when burning candles; open flames are a dangerous fire hazard.
· During cold weather, keep warm safely. Put on extra clothes or wrap up in blankets. DON'T rely on gas stoves, charcoal grills or other open-flame heat sources. Deadly carbon monoxide gas - which is odorless and invisible - may build up in your home without you realizing it.
To report an outage:
- First check your circuit breakers or fuses.
- If no breaker is tripped or fuse is blown, the problem may be in the connection between our wires and your home. Report your outage using one of the following methods:
- Call our toll-free, 24-hour Outage Reporting Line, 1-888-LIGHTSS
- Report your outage online, or
- Report your outage via text message.
Text REG to 544487 (LIGHTS) to get started.
Backup generators can provide an emergency power supply, enabling you to keep important equipment running during a power outage. It’s important to make sure generators are properly installed and operated to prevent health and safety risks for you”
SERVPRO of South Euclid/Lyndhurst/Pepper Pike 216-464-4498...Here to help!