If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (216) 932-4498

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Water Damage Can Lead to Mold

5/25/2018 (Permalink)

As we have seen recently, thunderstorm season is upon us. With those storms comes increased possibility for drain backups in your home. Water damage in your home can unfortunately lead to mold growth.

Mildew and mold will develop within 24-48 hours of water exposure if your home has sustained any type of water damage due to:

  • Flooding
  • Sewage backup from flooding in the area
  • Overflows from showers, sinks, or bathtubs
  • Elevated levels of humidity
  • Plumbing and/or roof leaks

Worse still, that mold will continue to grow until the source of the water in the area has been stopped and repaired, and the existing mold is dealt with properly and effectively. While there are thousands of types of mold that exist, some are known for being allergens, and some serious health problems can be caused by a few molds that produce harmful toxins. All molds however, are capable of affecting your health in certain conditions and higher concentrations.

Even lesser amounts of exposure for certain people, especially infants, children, immune-compromised patients, pregnant women, those with preexisting respiratory conditions, and the elderly can produce adverse health effects. Typical symptoms from mold exposure include:

  • Respiratory problems
  • Sinus congestion or cough
  • Eye irritation
  • Skin irritation
  • Nervous system such as headaches
  • Aches and pains

Preventing or eliminating all mold and mold spores is unavoidable indoors, but there are several ways in which you can help to control mold growth, such as:

  • Stop the Water – have leaks and water intrusions repaired
  • Keep it Clean – clean fabrics regularly and store in dry spaces; have air ducts cleaned
  • Keep it Dry – reduce air moisture with dehumidifiers, fans, air conditioners, but DO NOT use fans if mold already exists; try to keep indoor humidity below 40%
  • Disinfect – be sure to check moisture or mold prone spaces in the house like bathrooms, laundry areas, mechanical rooms for moldy odors, and use a commercial disinfectant

Most importantly, call in the experts to help! Water damage can lead to problems that can be easily missed or shrugged off as not that big of a deal. It is important to have the space affected thoroughly assessed for signs of mold growth immediately, so there are not future health concerns that could have been prevented.

SERVPRO of South Euclid/Lyndhurst/Pepper Pike is here to help with all of your water damage questions. Call today! 216-464-4498

Other News

View Recent Posts